There’s another completed shirt ready to photograph but it has been too dark to take pictures. We are having a rainy April so far which is not the usual California weather, but we are happy about it. The last big storm pushed our rainfall totals over the normal yearly amount. This week there is just not enough light to photograph a garment, so I have pushed ahead with new projects. There’s been a lot of pattern drafting and examining of fabric, but today I finally got with the program and cut some new shirts out. Here’s the fabric that was pulled out of the pile:
I’m a little tired of making collars and stands at the moment so wanted to make a lapel front shirt like the red and white one I made but with 3/4-length sleeves.
This would be my basic Sure-fit Designs blouse with a shirttail hemline, 3/4-length sleeves, and a lapel collar copied from McCall’s 7066. The lapel collar is easy to sew and looks really nice. Here it is on the red and white shirt:
The floral shirt is all cut out and I had time to cut out a royal blue print, too. I’m not sure of the fabric content but probably a rayon blend since it has a nice drape to it. I’ve gradually been accumulating a collection of those big metal washers to use as fabric weights and they work very well.
Long ago I used to have a pair of electric scissors and the scissors got a lot of use until they died of overwork, but I got another pair for a gift a few years ago and am finally getting around to using them. I tried them out on the rayon fabric, but they are probably better for using on heavier fabrics since the lighter ones scoot around while you are trying to cut them. Maybe they could be used to cut the thick fleece I’ve been sewing.