Though I have made many of these New Look 6871 tops, I have never before made one from a knit. Printed knits like this one are often easier to sew than stretchier knits but I was thinking that the usual yoke construction method would create a bulky seam. I decided to do the neckline in the usual way but to sew the two yoke layers as one unit to the gathered lower part. It seems to have worked fine.
Topstitching holds the seam in place and also goes around the neckline and armholes.
I was a little surprised how neatly the hem turned out. My usual method is to hand baste a 1/4″ turnunder, then press up another 3/4″. I stitch from the wrong side near the folded edge with a narrow zigzag ( a ‘1’ on my machine) and a stitch length that is stretched out and not dense. I experimented with different sewing feet and ended up using this one:
This foot came with my Elna SU when I bought it used over 25 years ago, so I have no idea what the foot was originally for since the accessory box had some non-Elna feet in it too. It slides smoothly over the knit without pushing it out of shape, so I’ll be using it for knit hems from now on. It’s a low shank foot so I use it on my other low-shank machines too (right now it’s on my Kenmore).