Still making shirt after shirt to refine the pattern. Shirt No. 3 is a jacket in a slightly stretchy pin stripe cotton, but it is in the wash right now so it will have to wait for its photo session. It was hard to tell what was wrong with that version because of the stretch, but I think it will be very wearable for morning walks. More on that shirt later.
I wanted a little more ease in the front, so this short-sleeved shirt was to test out that change. Unfortunately, the shirt seems to fit very well only if I keep my arms down at my sides. The back obviously needs more room because the sleeves bind at the biceps when I reach forward and the fabric strains across the shoulder blades. This cotton isn’t very stretchy at all so all the deficiencies of fit are noticeable. I recalled that when my daughter was taking my measurements, I was standing up very straight, so perhaps the back width measurements were too small. My back is rather curved so we took the next batch of measurements with me standing in a more realistic manner. Even more patterns were prepared, and I am now working on a pink 3/4-sleeve blouse. This new pink blouse had its first try-on yesterday, and at last I am on the right track. It looks good and lo, I can move my arms. I used the revised pattern to draft a princess-seam version and a shirtwaist version with a yoke and pleat in the back.
My daughter told me that this shirt reminds her of the show, Dexter, which, when I stopped laughing, made me think of the print in a different and not floral way.