The first new work shirt for A is done. She was home for the 4th of July holiday so we used the opportunity to fit the pattern to her liking. She wanted the front of the shirt to be more fitted and shapely but also wanted the back to have enough room for the reaching she needs to do in her job as a scientist. She also thought there was too much fabric in the sleeve caps, so I tried a new technique I had just read about to reduce the sleeve cap ease:
I reduced the ease to somewhere between 3/4″ and 1″ total and it worked fine. The sleeve was easier to sew and obviously fits the armhole better.
The original pattern did not have a collar with a stand, so I used the pattern that came with my Sure Fit Design kit. I liked the collar pattern very much since the collar seems to be just the right size for the look I wanted.
I still have to raise the side dart about 1/2″, but that will be for the next shirt. For a muslin, this is very wearable, and I hope that the general public does not go around looking at people’s bust darts.
Now I am working on a chambray work shirt for me to test out my Sure Fit Designs drafted bodice. It will be interesting seeing all those measurements I took put to use.