We are now on water restriction, but our allotment is enough to keep the garden going. We are using some drought techniques I wanted to try, like planting in a furrow instead of on a raised bed so the water is channeled to the roots, using drip hoses, and reusing clean water from the house. A lot of water is wasted waiting for the hot water to get to the faucet, so I run that water into a container and use it to water plants. I also reuse water that I used to rinse off vegetables. So far, so good. We are picking basil, cucumbers, plums, and peaches right now.
In between carrying around buckets of water, I have been making the ribbings of many sweaters:
After the borders are knit by hand (because I like the way they look, and I think the hand-knit borders wear better) they are hung from the knitting machine needles and the rest of the sweater is knit very quickly. The knitting machine I use the most was packed up during the recent work on the house, so I had to set it up again. That’s all finished so time to get back to knitting and sewing.
In the sewing department, I finished up my first pattern using the Sure Fit Design system. I have a shirt pattern I have used a lot, but I was never satisfied with the way it fit through the shoulders. I used my SFD draft to alter the pattern and am very interested to see how it fits now. I cut a shirt out of heavy chambray to test it out.