The first shirt seems to be a success. I used a dark gray and white striped cotton shirting fabric from the deep deep stash. The spouse was pleased with it, and he wore it for our getaway to Reno this last weekend. I thought lowering the neckline and adjusting the collar and stand would be a difficult alteration but it turned out to be easy. All in all, the shirt fits really well, and he likes it. Now I can start sewing the fun fabric.
While in Reno we went to Mill End Fabrics which is a big warehouse full of sewing notions and fabrics. My brain gets overwhelmed when presented with such a huge variety of selections, so I only got one piece of Hawaiian fabric for another shirt. When we were in a different department store in town, I looked at the upscale shirts for men to see how they were put together. The shirts looked nearly identical in construction and design to the pattern I used, but I liked the nice neat buttonholes on those shirts so I think I will try using a thinner thread for my next buttonholes so they don’t look so hefty. I’m going to try Maxi Lock thread on the next shirt’s buttonholes.
I tried the new-to-me method of sewing on the collar and stand (http://behindtheseams.wordpress.com/2006/05/24/collar-on-stand-part-1/) but I just couldn’t make it work for me and had to go back to my usual method which requires a lot of hand sewing. I’ll have to try the new method again in a thinner fabric. Thinking about the collar and stand made me remember some UFOs that are cut out and waiting to be sewn. They are women’s shirts with short sleeves, so I found one and am now almost finished with the first one. These shirts have a one-piece collar and stand combo.