Making bags is not hard but there is a lot of prep work. So far, I have interfaced, applied batting, sewn on the velcro closures, sewn pockets on the lining, and made the strap:
The bag looks like it is going to be rather big, but you can’t really tell until it’s done since the seam allowances make a big difference. Here’s a view into the almost completed lining:
This is the first time I’ve thought to add pockets to the gusset panels on the sides, but they should be handy for a hairbrush or small bottle of lotion or hand sanitizer. It’s been way too hot to sit and sew in the afternoons, so the bag is progressing slowly. Once I finish up the bag, I’ll be able to see if I like the size or not, then I can shrink it or rethink the pockets for the next version.
At my last visit to the thrift shop, I found three lengths of vintage doubleknits. I like these for their bright colors and indestructibility. I make tops out of them, and they always look fresh and crisp. They don’t work in steamy weather, though, but here in California that’s not much of a problem.