This spate of new cotton tops for M is the result of a sale at JoAnn’s this past week. For some reason, I had blue thread on the machine (Elna SU) so made this one up first. I have made this pattern with machine embroidery on the yoke, applied lace around the yoke, lace fabric used for the yoke, and with embroidered tucks. This time I went for plain narrow tucks and some decorative buttons.
You can see the tucks better in this photo. Aside from the showing off aspect of putting up pictures of things you have sewn, it turns out to be really useful, too. I haven’t sewn one of these in awhile, so couldn’t remember if I topstitched this or that, so I was able to pull up the picture and zoom in to the area I was wondering about. I am a big fan of topstitching. It gives a nice, crisp appearance, and it keeps the garment in the shape you want. It makes ironing easier, and makes the garment look more professional. I find topstitching easy because of the many dishtowels my grandmother made me hem in my youth.
There was a button clearance at some store years ago and I bought most of the marked-down items. They were only about 25 cents a card. These taupe-colored buttons have been in the stash since then and suited this top perfectly. People call you a hoarder if your stash is too big, but there’s no doubt that having a good stash is very useful. Saves on gasoline, too, since you don’t have to run to the store for notions or fabric all the time.