This top is very easy to make. Well, except that I have to practice more on the free-motion embroidery. I also had scads of trouble with the machine buttonhole stitch which didn’t like that heavier cotton thread at all. There was some ripping and re-doing and some creative covering up, but I ended up with a wearable top, so it’s all good.
The armholes are finished with bias binding tape. The instructions used commercial bias tape and had you trim excess off of the seam allowances, but I cut my own tape 1 1/2″ wide. I sewed it on with a 5/8″ seam, trimmed the seam to 3/8″, turned the tape under, understitched it, and then stitched it down.
I also changed the pattern around a little. I redrafted the back body piece. I changed it from having the center on the fold to a piece that incorporates the back curve of New Look 6027. It really worked nicely. Instead of having the gathers in the middle of the back body piece, I had two small sections of tucks on either side of the center back seam:
The edging at the top was crocheted with the white cotton thread held double. It is strange how much brighter it looks than the embroidery considering that they are the very same thread.
M is coming over to try it on after work today. It fits Madame Merp, the duct-tape double, very well, so I have high hopes.