On the whole the muslin for New Look 6871 fit very well. The armholes were a little too big, though, so I’ll have to undo the ‘slide’ portion of the alterations. Also, the blouse hikes up in the front center, but that’s an easy fix. You just add length to the center front and taper it back to the side seam in a nice curve. The pattern fits OK the way it is now, but I am going to try a franken-pattern alteration and incorporate the back curve from New Look 6027. This means adding a center back seam and relocating the center back gathers. Worth a try anyway.
The daughter would never wear a blouse in that ditsy green print, so I’ll have to reuse the fabric for something else (maybe another sunbonnet!). I have some plain fabrics that could be embroidered to produce a variation on the Mexican Peasant Blouse. Having used my embroidery design program to print out templates, now I can make some sample designs. First, it is handy to have a yoke template so I cut one out from poster board.
Using the yoke template, I can draw around it onto my butcher paper for a blank to draw the embroidery designs on. I just used the light desk to trace some of the embroidery templates onto the yoke shape. Here’s my stack of templates:
These were printed out from my BuzzEdit program and are from the Gypsy Feast assortment (Enigma Embroidery) from Oregon Patch Works.
Still working on this one. I need to fold it in half, put it on the light box, and trace the lefthand side to match. After that, it will be time for Version #2. By the way, if you don’t have a light box, but you do have a glass table, coffee table, or patio table, you can put a light underneath it and use that instead. I found my lightbox (a LightTracer by Artograph) at my local art supply store for about $35 or maybe less. I’ve had it a long time. You can also find similar products sometimes at toy stores for a lot less money. I still have my Mickey Mouse light desk which is still working fine after at least 25 years.