Well, I had just finished the batik top and had some leftover fabric so hey, presto, a batik sunbonnet. The back drape has been lengthened to about 9 1/2″ from the base of the brim. That seems to give good back coverage, and the front ties were cut a little longer and are now 22″ long before sewing. I really like this one – wearing the bonnets is a lot cooler (temperature-wise) than the straw garden hat, and the ties keep it from blowing or falling off. The sewing on this one went a lot faster.
The picture above shows the buttonhole in the center back at the bottom of the hood portion (top of the drape) with the adjusting ties .
When I was looking up prairie bonnets online, I found some utilitarian ones which I might try to duplicate. On these bonnets, the drape comes around to the front and shields the neck and chin:
A bonnet like this should be easy to sew, since I can use the measurements from the other bonnets. I would love to have a pink bonnet with ruffles, too.