Right on schedule, the trees are blooming and the patch of violets in the front lawn is providing the first whiff of springtime. I’m going to see the younger daughter this weekend so decided to finish up that slip I was making for her. I had it all finished except for the lace around the hemline but the project got stalled because the slip needed to be tried on for length. Even after she visited and tried it on, it still languished in a pile of fabric next to the sewing machine. This was silly because it took less than a half hour to finish it off.
Here’s a view of the pattern I used. I can’t remember when I got this pattern, but I think this version is more recent than some of the other versions of this pattern I’ve got in the stash. Maybe it’s only been in the stash 20 years or so…
I have a great lingerie book from the 70’s (The Feminine Art, Lingerie Sewing by Dolores Krinke) that shows many different ways to sew straps for lingerie, and I used some of the suggestions for the straps for this slip. When you make lingerie for a specific person, you don’t need to make the straps adjustable because you can fit the garment on the person and make the straps the correct length.
The following close-up shows the lace around the top and the straps:
I wish you could still get the quality of nylon tricot that was available back in the heyday of lingerie sewing because the stuff nowadays is a lot thinner. On the plus side, though, it is anti-static and comes in great colors. I have a lot of tricot in a gorgeous dark teal that will be a joy to sew.
So, scratch one item off my UFO list.