I finished up the apron today, and since the husband was headed out to do some errands and could take it to his sister, it only seemed right to get him to model it.
This apron is made from the leftover yardage of an IKEA sheet (Dvala, I think). I followed the instructions in the booklet except that I left off the bottom ruffle and added 3″ to the length. Bias tape is my usual edge finish for aprons, but this pattern called for rick rack, so that is what I used. My daughter advised going with brown trim, and before I even had time to hunt around for some, I found some in a reddish brown of the perfect hue at Bolt’s End in Castro Valley when my sister and I were out shopping.
I cut the part that goes around the back of the neck from double fabric which gives it weight and helps it lie smoothly across the shoulders. The ties are cut about 3.5″ wide and 31″ long. Now the next time I make this pattern, I can reread this and see what I did. I used the same pattern to make this apron for M:
That version had bias tape, shorter length, and longer pockets (by accident). Making pockets with curved corners is much more time consuming than the usual rectangular patch pocket, and I think the rectangular ones are stronger because the seam allowances don’t have to be clipped. Next time it is going to be rectangular pockets for sure.
This is a very cute pattern, easy to sew, and comfortable to wear.