I’ve been thinking about styles and what I like, and though I have definite likes and dislikes, I’m never very current in my fashion sense. I just don’t feel any need to keep up with trends or have the dress that’s popular now or whatever. A lot of fashion seems like the Emperor’s New Clothes to me where people like something just because someone tells them it is great, but in reality it looks ghastly (like low-cut jeans and many popular hairstyles). In my sewing, these are the things I am interested in:
1. Embroidered and ethnic garments
3. Purses, totes, and handbags
4. Sewing with flannel
5. Bright colors, happy colors, color combinations. Neutrals, though necessary in a wardrobe, are boring. Dulled-down colors are boring.
6. Dresses for little girls are fun to sew, and I can call up endless design ideas, probably because I have sewn hundreds of doll dresses over the years, and though smaller, the construction is the same.
7. Tablecloths and pillowcases are quick and easy and useful.
8. Mending something to make it useful again.
9. I hate doing alterations and avoid it like the plague. When people find out you can sew, they often ask you to do alterations, but I learned to say no firmly and definitely.
Here are the new techniques I want to try soon:
1. Become proficient on the serger and quit being intimidated by it.
2. Sew more lingerie
3. Learn to use the sewing machine feet and attachments I have in abundance especially the binders, ruffler and the narrow hemmer.
4. Get rid of fabric I am never going to sew
5. Don’t get bogged down sewing stuff that is not interesting to me. Sew what I want to when I want to, and avoid deadlines and pressure.
What I am sewing now:
It took me about a year and a half of occasional work, but the workshirt for A is now a TNT pattern. I want to try to morph it into different styles with different sleeves and necklines, so I am working on a summer top now. A needs plain colored tops to wear with skirts and pants, and there is more scope for me to make her bright printed skirts if she has plain tops to wear with them.