In the home stretch on the black shirt. Just have hems and cuffs and buttonholes/buttons to do. Looks pretty good for an IKEA sheet, I think. I’ll try to work on it a little today but here’s what I will be doing this afternoon:
I have to put up the plums the husband picked off the tree out front this morning. The picture only shows half the number of bags, but we give away lots of them to the neighbors. They are really delicious ‘eating’ plums and make great jam, too. It’s way too hot today to even think about making jam, so I cut them up and freeze the jam batches for cooking in the fall or winter when the house is cooler. I have no idea what variety of plum these are because we bought a tree with four varieties grafted onto it, and I think this plum is the only one to survive. We had to pick the plums today because I caught the package delivery guy stealing some plums the other day when I drove up in front of my house. He jumped in his delivery truck and drove off right after he saw me arrive, but I thought that thievery was not the image his company would like to project.
I had the easiest time ever setting in the sleeves on this shirt, and was so amazed that I wrote down how I did it. I sewed the sleeve in flat (no side or sleeve seams yet), clipped the shirt armhole seam allowance before sewing with short little clips, and only sewed one gathering stitch row just 1/4 inch in from the edge on the sleeve cap. This is the same sleeve that has been tricky to set in in the past, so I don’t know why it worked this time, except that I tried the same thing on the second sleeve and had the same success. Didn’t have to rip anything and restitch the seam at all. No tucks or ripples, just smooth success.