When we were out of town last year for a convention my husband was attending, I saw this little dress:
I have been working on a pattern for this dress, and I drew it up in Size 4 because there is a little girl in my family who just turned that age. Here is the pattern so far –5/8″ seams were used throughout and are included in the pattern measurements, and the skirt front and back are cut on the fold.
The dress went together easily. I cut a slit in the back center and made a placket, and the back yoke closes with buttons. The half armholes are finished with bias binding cut from the fabric. The ruffle is narrow hemmed (two 1/4″ turnunders) along the straight edge and gathered along the curved edge. The bottom hem has a 1/4″ turnunder followed by a 2″ hem. This is my first draft of the pattern, so there may be errors, though I used this plan to sew the following dress and everything turned out fine:
The yoke is lined with self fabric, then it is topstitched. The cost to make this dress was nothing, since everything came from the stash. I would like to try this in a plain cotton with lots of embroidery motifs. It would also be super cute with a ruffle on the bottom.
The method I use to make the placket is the same as this one:
It’s been a long time since I sewed a dress for a little girl, and I had forgotten how fun it is. I think I will make a few more.