I still have lots and lots of that gray wool recently used in A’s skirt. While she was here for Thanksgiving, she washed the skirt and threw it in the dryer, and it really came out wonderfully smooth and not shrunken at all (so it definitely is some kind of blend). Because of this, I decided to try out a pattern for M, making a winter top that can be worn over a long-sleeved T-shirt or turtleneck. I am using the following pattern, View A shown below in white:
M hates a high neckline, so I lowered the neckline about 3 or 4 inches and designed an embroidery design for the front yokes. I plan to line those pieces in a mustard yellow cotton. I wanted to try out a new pattern alteration method from a book that I got at the library booksale for about 50 cents, but it seems to be a fairly recent book. Nancy Zieman uses the pivot method and the use of extensions at the side seams of the bodice and sleeves. I was wondering how this would work, but the last time I tried a top for M, I used a larger size pattern, going by the bust and hip measurements, and the resulting top was too tight across the shoulders and ill fitting elsewhere too. This time I tried a smaller size pattern and did the Nancy Zieman method of enlargement, and the muslin fit great on the first try.
I had to invent some method of transferring the pattern to the wool, but I ended up using a light desk and some permanent markers. I have started working the embroidery, by hand this time instead of machine embroidery.