I had some leftover fabric from A’s handbag and the cover I made for the sewing room stepstool, so I used it to make a cover for the Elna SU. Every machine has a different shape and configuration, so you have to tailor the cover to fit the machine. I had to make the end panels much narrower for this one, and because the cords are not recessed, I had to make a cutout on one end panel.
I didn’t line the cover since it is just to keep the dust off. I finished some of the edges with bias tape:
I wanted to put a handle on this one, too, but decided on an easier method. I made a strip across the entire width of the top with an unstitched-down section for the handle. I measured the handle on my old Singer 301 case and here are the measurements they used:
Of course, theirs was made from leather and plastic, and I was working in fabric, but the concept is the same. The base measurement of the handle from side to side is 5 1/2″. The actual length of the handle is 8 1/2″.Much easier to sew and works great too.
I am glad to report that I finished peeling all those thousands of apples, and applesauce making is over for the year. I think I am going to make some pepper jelly, though. I’ll do all that when I finish up the plum jam.