Here’s my old Kenmore machine, recently resurrected and back in action:
So far it is sewing fine and I have made at least two skirts, four blouses, one tote bag and who knows what else since it came back from the shop with a new pedal. The only problem I had with it so far is that it didn’t seem to like my cone thread, the big 6000-yard cones I buy from Atlanta Thread. I fussed around with the threading until I made it work. I needed one more thread holder on the machine to complete my Rube Goldbergian threading. The old machine is missing one of the spool holders, so I needed to invent one. My first effort was made from a Q-tip encased in metal tape and had the top of a cocktail pick stuck to the side for a thread holder. This worked fine but was less than refined looking, and it was also wobbly. Finally I took myself off to the hardware store and got a cotter pin. I filled in the center divide with some silicone adhesive I had and glued on a knitting counter:
I have been covering the machine with an old pillowcase, but that looked sloppy, so today I made a cover for it.
The rest of my sewing today was utilitarian. I mended six items for the spouse since he happened to ask me when I had the color he needed on the machine. It is very seldom that he gets instant results when asking for mending to be done, but today was the day.