I took one of my husband’s discarded shirts (worn out collar points) and decided to use the fabric to make a shirt for A. I wanted to try keeping the front bands and buttonholes/buttons intact to see how that would work. Here’s how I cut out the shirt:
I had to incorporate the sleeve placket, and there wasn’t enough room to cut a cuff long enough for a 3/4 sleeve, so I had to think about how to finish the sleeves. I am going to put a button and buttonhole on the placket and finish the edge with a facing and maybe a small tuck and see how that looks.
The other problem I will have is that when I cut out the fronts, I positioned the pattern so that a button would fall at the level of the bust point, so there would be no gapping during movement. This worked out OK, but there will be part of a buttonhole showing right below the collar band. I am going to have to invent a little motif of embroidery to disguise it.
I hope this works out because it is great to avoid making the front bands and the placket, and not having that good shirt fabric go to waste.