We are definitely into the hot part of the summer, but so far it hasn’t been too bad. I was just out looking at the garden and I think we will be picking the first cucumbers today. Behind me are six huge boxes of apples that need to be made into sauce, so I think that’s what I will be doing next week.
I read on a sewing blog ( http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com/) that the Knoppa sheets at IKEA are good for lining fabric for summer dresses since they are light weight, hold their shape, and cheap. I picked up a few from our IKEA on my last trip there, and they measure 66″ x 98″. Doing a little math, that means you get the equivalent of 4 square yards of fabric for $1.99. I like the idea of alternate fabric sources. I also like the Dvala sheets, which are 100% cotton, for aprons and totebag linings, though they are three times as expensive, though still cheap.
Yesterday I worked on the shirt pattern a little more, adding a collar and stand and a sleeve with a placket and cuff. This is where I appreciate my huge pattern stash because I just hunt around until I find a pattern with the feature I am looking for and then graft that onto the pattern I am working on. I needed to add some width to the sleeve at the bicep, so I tried several different ways of doing the alteration on the paper pattern: pivot and slide, just adding width at the center of the sleeve, and the cut-the-length-and- width-and-spread-the-pattern method. I’m going to make up the shirt in the fashion fabric except for the sleeves and then muslin the three sleeves and try them out to see which one works best. One of the methods preserves the cap height but adds to the cap ease, and the others decrease cap height but preserve the cap ease. I may actually need a little more cap ease, so it will be interesting to see what the sleeves look like sewn in.
Before I get to that though, I have a more mundane task to complete – my brother got my dad three pairs of summer slacks that need to be hemmed up, so that is what gets worked on first.