I made the following changes: I drafted new sleeves using the cap from a commercial shirt that fit A well, I changed the armhole curves, shortened the shoulder seam, eliminated the back neck facing, and changed the side bust dart. The fabric I used for the shirt is a striped oxford cloth I had in the stash. I am experimenting with new interfacings to see how they work out since my favorite, So Sheer, is no longer carried by my fabric store.
Below you can see how I always replace the back neck facing with a strip of bias, since I hate the way a facing flaps around.
Now that I finally have a pattern that fits her, I can change the design details to whatever I want. First up will be a collar with a stand which will be a little more professional looking for work, and I also want to change the sleeve cuff to a regular cuff with a placket which I think will wear better.
In sewing machine news, I have decided to make my Singer 401A the machine I use for machine free motion embroidery, and have ordered a free motion foot. This weekend I tried out an old Kenmore buttonholer ($3 at the thrift store) on my old Kenmore and it made really lovely buttonholes. My only problem is that the feed dogs do not go down anymore on that machine, and it is running so well at the moment that I don’t want to tamper with it, so I need a cover for the feed dogs. I used the cover plate from the old Singer buttonholer, but I had to tape it in place, which worked, but is less than ideal. I just love gadgets, and want to try out all the different feet that came with the machines.