Now that I have my old Kenmore back in action, this purse was much easier to make. It really sews through thick stacks of fabric better than any of my other machines. I usually don’t like to sew the same thing over and over, but I have to admit that the first two of these that I made taught me what not to do. For example, I learned to do the bottom seam last so that I could more easily topstitch the side seams. I did have to go over to Eldest Daughter’s house to look at the orange purse, because she says the way I did the pockets for that one is very convenient for grabbing your cell phone, and I certainly did not remember what I had done. I put in two zippered pockets, and two regular pockets, one with two divisions, and on the other side, one with three divisions. Below, you can see the top zipper I added to the pattern. I used a 14″ zipper and tucked the ends under, since the 12″ zipper I used last time was a little too short.
It’s nice that there was a little pink in the print because I have a huge stash of pink zippers that someone gave me and it’s nice to be able to use some of them. I’m still really liking the binding on the top of the pockets as a design feature. It’s nice to have a little of the outside fabric carried over to the inside.
In sewing machine news, my Elna SU was still not ready when I called yesterday. It had been in the upscale shop in the other town about 7 weeks which is strange and unacceptable. After I called to inquire, there must have been some scrambling around at the shop to find my machine which I suspect got lost in the shuffle because shortly thereafter the fixer guy called to tell me what was wrong with it, and then later to tell me it was fixed. Apparently I managed to inflict two very unusual ailments on my machines on the same day. The computer machine had a problem he had never seen in that machine before, and the SU also had a problem he has seen in Pfaffs but not in my model of Elna before. I guess I am just ‘special’. Bummer. Oh well, he fixed it and says it is just like new. He also put new rubber feet on it which will be wonderful. It has always been missing one of the feet, but I have a little pad I made that I put under one corner and never thought about asking for new feet. My sewing room is finally getting back to normal.