A new exercise regime a few years ago required a stepstool that was at least 14 inches high, but I couldn’t find one. My husband had the idea of buying several of the same kind of plastic steps and stacking them on top of each other. This worked fine. Eventually, I stopped using them for exercising and just used them as foot rests, so I sewed a little cover for them.
Then my daughter needed a stepstool for her apartment so she took one of them, and my cover was then too long. Today I made a new cover to match the aqua bedroom where I use the little steps every day as a place to sit to look through the patterns in my new IKEA chests.
To make the cover, I traced around the top to get the oval shape by upending the step onto the fabric. I tore strips of fabric for the sides, and cut out two layers of quilt batting to pad the top. I thought the whole thing turned out rather well, considering that this was just some extra fabric from a tote bag I made for A.