Still haven’t hemmed that skirt, but I am thinking about it. Instead, I got out the cut-out brocade purse I started and got the pieces ready for sewing. I am using a variety of interfacings, and will be trying iron-on batting for the first time. I found that some of it irons on, and some sections, not so much. As long as it holds until I sew it in, then I will be happy.
Here’s a picture of the fabric, which had marinated a few years in my daughter’s stash. It is very drapey and not very thick, so it needs something to give it body. I am putting interfacing behind the lining fabrics and the batting behind the brocade. I am using a yellow denim for the lining. I like light-colored linings so you can see what’s in your bag.
The pattern is Simplicity 2685, View D. The top band of the bag will be plain without that pointy tab/button design feature. The pattern pieces are a little peculiar in that the bottom width of the outer bag is quite a bit bigger than the lining, but other people have made the bag and it seems to turn out OK. I’ll just sew it up and see what happens.
I saw one version of the bag online where the handles were changed to a wide strap sewn from side seam to side seam, and that would make the bag easy to carry over the shoulder. I’ll have to ask my daughter which style she wants me to make.