My daughter tried on the black/white pencil skirt and it was great in some ways and not so good in others. I had needed to make the waist of the pattern just a little larger, so on the red pencil skirt I made the darts narrower, but on the black/white skirt I decided to add the additional width at the waist side seam. Somehow this didn’t work as well, but the skirt is still wearable. The back looks very good, though.
So I am thinking that I will add the extra width at the side seam in the back and go back to narrower darts in the front. One of these days when she is home I will be able to really fit the darts to her, and that should improve the look of the front. It doesn’t make much difference to her because she never wears a tuck-in blouse, so nothing shows anyway.
The denim-look skirt which I expected to be too big at the waist fit very well, and she thought it was perfect and comfortable. We pinned up the hem, so I am ready to finish that project and can make more skirts using that pattern. For that skirt I used Simplicity 9825:
I made View F with the addition of the small tab in the back I showed before. I want to use this pattern to make some unlined summer skirts, especially one in the red/white decorator fabric shown on the right below.
She likes the Hawaiian print that is bolder, and the center fabric will become an apron, I think. Now that I am looking at the pattern envelope, I see that there are two skirt widths, the A-Line version that I made, and a narrower skirt. I could add the kick pleat to the back of that one, replacing the vent shown, and make this as a pencil skirt, eliminating any dart problems because there are no darts.