I decided to try a monochromatic blouse. My daughter likes a dark red color, so I have found the length of cotton this color in the stash. It is not a color that combines well with other bright colors, so I am going to try tucks and self-color embroidery on the front yoke. Here’s my preliminary sketch:
In order to do this kind of embellishment, I cut a piece of fabric much larger than the yoke piece in width, and a little longer in length. I do the tucks and embroidery on the piece, then put the pattern piece on it and cut it out. This is a technique often used in heirloom sewing.
It takes longer to do the embroidery or decoration on the yoke then it does to sew the whole thing together. I put a placket in the back yoke of the last MPB I made for the younger daughter, but when she tried it on she could pull it over her head easily without unbuttoning the placket, so I don’t have to put the placket in anymore.
I finished the waistband topstitching on the pencil skirt and just have to hem it. I decided to use that slinky hem tape to reduce bulk on the kickpleat, so I had to go buy some today. Should have the hem done tomorrow.