The yellow pajamas are finished and gone off to their new home, and it is time to start the blue pajamas. My daughter also wants some skirts, so a skirt muslin is first on the list. Before I start on the skirt, however, I wanted to finish the alterations to the pajama pattern before I forgot what she wanted. We decided to do away with the whole collar/lapel design and change it to a curved V-neck like on a baseball uniform. I found this old pattern:
This is Kwik Sew 2141. We are going to use the pajama pattern, but change the neckline. This pattern has just the sort of neckline that my daughter wanted, since she didn’t want the V to be too low. I just put the pajama pattern over the KS pattern and traced off the neckline, making allowances for the differences in seam allowances. The KS pattern has 1/4″ seam allowances and the PJ pattern has 5/8″.
Here’s how the new front looks with no lapels and the new neckline. We also had to craft new facings. The commercial pajamas I have seen have facings that are stitched down all along the edge which would make them much more comfortable with no facings flying up to hit you in the face while you are trying to sleep. I like the look of the stitched-down facings, too.
I cut the facing patterns 2 7/8″ wide which, after a 5/8″ seam allowance and a 1/4″ turnunder edge finish, leaves a 2″ stitched-down facing. I measured the facing on a commercial pajama top and 2″ was the commercial width of the facing.
For Christmas, my daughter gave me this handy gadget: