My daughter liked the way the tricot camisole fit, so she asked me to make some that would be outerwear. I found a length of red knit in the fabric stack, so I added 1/4″ to the neckline and armhole for a seam allowance and got started. It turned out surprisingly well – here it is on Betty:
The bodice portion was a double layer of fabric in the tricot version, but in this version there is only one layer. I was wondering how to hold down the seam allowance under the bust so tried topstitching. It looks better than I expected. The neckline and armholes are finished with strips of the same knit used as facings and stitched down. The pattern was originally a simple tank top, but I changed it by adding the empire seam and adding gathers under the bust.
Next time I make one of those duct tape dressmaker dummies I will leave off the arms because they make it hard to get garments on and off the dummy. In addition, the arms make it hard to tell where the shoulder width ends for some reason. One thing that has worked out well, though, was the stuffing we put in the dummies: we used old newspapers put through the shredder.