My younger daughter came for a visit and tried on the prototype camisole. It really fit wonderfully well, so she asked me to make some more not as camisoles but as tops in cotton knits. Before I could start that project though I had to finish up the camisole.
The hem is a regular hem (baste a small turnunder about 3/16 inch wide, then fold up another 3/8 inch and stitch down with a small zigzag set at 1 for width and 2 for length on my old Elna). I finished off the neckline and armholes with a shell edging stitched on a small double turnunder. I trimmed the empire seam with lace to add interest and to hold the seam in place. The front upper bodice area has a double layer of fabric.
At one of the library book sales this year, I found a copy of a book printed in 1972: The Feminine Art, Lingerie Sewing by Dolores Krinke. This is a great book with many illustrations and photos, and is well worth searching for a copy.