I was at the restaurant supply store ( Smart & Final) and saw a package of feedsack dishtowels. The price was $13.50 for 12 towels that measured 28″ x 29″ each. I was struck by the resemblance of the fabric to the fabric used in one of my old Mexican tops. Here’s what the package looked like:
I decided that the total yardage made it a bargain, and how many towels could it take to make a top, 3 to 5? Here’s how it worked out:
On a single layer, I cut the front and one back yoke. The back yoke was wider than the front yoke, so I could only fit on one. On another single layer, I cut out the back and two front yokes (one is for lining). For these single layers, I ripped out the towel hems on the sides which added about 2″ to the width.
Then I stacked up two layers of towel and cut out the sleeves. Out of the leftovers, I cut one back yoke lining. So the answer is that it took 4 towels at a cost of $4.50 for the fabric.
I am using McCall’s 5627 except that I took some of the width out of the sleeve so it would be less puffy, and I raised the neckline slightly and made it a curved neckline instead of the square neckline shown.
I finished the embroidery and I think it turned out pretty well. I definitely like the thread painting except that it really eats up the thread at an alarming rate. This design took one evening and one morning to finish.
I’m interested to see how this toweling will wear. It should be comfortable since it is soft, and though it seems to be strong enough, only time and wear will tell how it performs. If it doesn’t work for garments, it is an inexpensive source for dishtowels to embroider.