I went with the spouse and the inlaws to Sacramento on Saturday to go to the Antiquarian Book Fair at the Scottish Rite Temple. The husband bought this lovely catalog for me, and it is full of wonderful illustrations with ideas for embroidery, garments and aprons, and household linens.
I was very interested in the clothespin apron, because we have been using our clothesline a lot to reduce our gas bill (very successfully, too). I decided to try and draft one, and to use one of my vintage embroidery patterns to decorate it using free-motion machine embroidery. Below are the pieces I cut out. I have placed them on a 1″ grid so you can get an idea of the size of the pieces.
The waistband was cut 4 3/4″ x 22″ and the ties were cut 5″ x 20″ (but turned out to be a little short, and would be better at 30″ to 36″ long). To make this apron, I used the leftover strip of fabric from the IKEA sheet I used to make a curtain for the closet a few weeks ago. I was favorably impressed by the quality of the fabric in the IKEA sheet (100% cotton). I used a vintage Aunt Martha’s embroidery pattern and did the embroidery by machine. I am still not too good at the free-motion machine embroidery, but I am getting better. This design took one evening and an hour or so this morning to finish.
Today I am going to sew the apron together and apply yellow bias tape to the pocket and apron edges.