The first tote bag is all done.
I put in two inset pockets using some zippers I had in the zipper bin.
To avoid having to use hand stitching to tack down the lining, I just sewed the corners of the outer fabric and the lining together at the same time. You can just barely see the seam in the picture above. I figure that when the purse is full of stuff, nobody is going to see that little seam, and it sure was easier to do it that way.
This purse is easy to sew. I used a very heavy interfacing to keep the bag from being floppy. I used to get my interfacings (usually Pellon brand) from the W@lmart, but my local store eliminated its fabric department (!!!). I tried out the Duck & Cover W@lmart in the next town over (they once had a shooting in the parking lot, hence the nickname), and lo, they still had a fabric department. Not knowing how long that situation will last, I bought the whole bolt of heavy interfacing at $1.47/yard, compared to the $8 -$10/yd they wanted in the fabric store. No more $1/yd table of fabrics at the W@lmart anymore. Bummer.
Next up is the polka dot tote, a larger version of the pocket tote with top zipper.