Now that all the presents have been opened, I can show pictures of the needlecase and handbag that I made for M.
This is the same fabric as the totebag I made for my sister last year, and I had plenty left over to make both items for M this year. M really likes this fabric, which is a heavy decorator cotton. The lining was made of some canvas I had on hand.
The pattern did not call for a lining, but I just cut out the same pieces and made another purse in the lining canvas, then put it wrong sides together inside the outer fabric shell. The lining is held down by some stitching at the bottom and by the topstitching at the very top.
Here’s the outside of the needlecase. It has a top flap to keep the sock needles from falling out and an attached elastic band to hold it closed during transit. There is a large piece of velcro under the flap and at the bottom right corner.
The left side of the interior has a knitted surface to hold implements and notions. It is a leftover knitting gauge swatch I had in the sewing room. It was a total accident that the scissors I ended up with were also purple to match. I was looking for a pair of scissors that did not have tips that were too pointy, to avoid poking a hole in the fabric. There are two levels of pockets on the right to hold sock needles, scissors, and other things. I think this needlecase turned out much better than the prototype one I made for myself.
Now I need to start fixing up a blouse pattern for A, and maybe make another tote bag in a different fabric.