I sewed up the first attempt at a Mexican Blouse. I used the upsized Vogue vintage pattern, and all I can say is that Vogue and Peasant Blouse do not a happy marriage make. The armholes were too high and tight, which may go with a Vogue Pattern, but sort of wipes out all the benefits of wearing a peasant blouse. I took the sleeves off, which were difficult to sew in, I might add, and cut some sleeves following the measurements of the Mercado Dress. I cut down the armhole curves on the dress and sewed on the new sleeves. The blouse became instantly more comfortable with the added width of the gusset section. M came over after work to try it on, and requested a sleeve with a gathered cuff, so I undid the stitching a little on the sleeve hem and put in some narrow elastic. The Vogue pattern also had the back yoke shorter than the front for some reason, and the yoke on the Mercado Dress is more attractive.
This picture is the only one that shows the true green color of the fabric.
This was just a practice blouse using inexpensive broadcloth, so now I am about to cut out the cotton cloth in a pretty orange and start the embroidery. I am going to draft out a pattern using the Mercado dress as a guide for the yoke measurements. Since M wants gathered sleeves, I have to add a little length to the sleeve piece in a curve at the bottom (overarm) so that the sleeve will hang straight at the hem. These blouses are so cool and comfortable that you can see why they have been worn in Mexico for hundreds of years.