Here is a recipe for a cake filling that Grandma G. got from the Home Service Bureau of the electric company. She has added a note in her handwriting on how to change the flavor to chocolate. This was originally the filling for a Vienna Torte which was made up of lemon-flavored sponge cake layers, this filling, and a crushed almond brittle or crushed English toffee sprinkled on top.
2 cups milk (this would be whole milk, of course, since the concept of cholesterol hadn’t been invented yet)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Scald milk. Combine 1/3 cup sugar, flour and salt. Add to milk. Cook slowly until thick. Cool to room temperature.
2. Cream butter. Add 1 cup sugar gradually and cream well.
3. Add room temperature filling to cream mixture. Beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
4. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
5. For chocolate filling, substitute 1/2 cup sugar for the 1 cup amount and add 3 ounces of sweet chocolate melted.