I made this version of the Amy Butler Weekender Travel Bag for my sister. It is pieced together from decorator fabric samples and the trim is a microfiber. It took about two weeks to make. It is interfaced and also has batting between the outer layer and the lining.
I also made a zippered bag to go with it.
I had many horrible adventures making this bag. I decided to eliminate the piping, put the seam allowances to the outside, and cover them with binding. This was an OK idea, but after I had assembled the whole bag, it was too thick to fit under the sewing machine needle. I tried my other sewing machine, too, but it was impossible. I ended up having to rip the bag apart and remove the lining from the sections. I resewed the bag, and then I sewed the lining separately. I feel like I made two or three bags instead of just one.
Before Thanksgiving, I designed a checkbook cover to sew for gifts for all the nieces. Here is one made from a striking dragon cotton fabric. It is interfaced with fairly heavy iron-on interfacing applied to the outer layer. It closes with a velcro fastener.
I am trying to decide on a fabric to make one of these for myself because those plastic covers that come with your checks always seem to split and break. I need a bright one so that I can find it easily in my purse.
I have more presents to show in coming days, but right now I am going to go sew something ordinary and thin, a T-shirt for my daughter.