It cooled off yesterday enough to do some sewing on the green shirt. I have finished everything but the buttons. It was impossible to find buttons in the proper green color, so I am just going with some old white buttons I had in the stash.
We used to have a lot of fun with buttons. There was a company in Pennsylvania that I used often, Home-Sew Inc., (http://www.homesew.com/index.html) that sold notions, and at one time they offered a pound of buttons for only about $2. I used to get a pound now and then when I placed a mailorder. Not only did this result in a huge button stash, but was also useful for amusing the kids. I would bring out the colored buttons and dump them out onto a cookie sheet or 9×13 pan, and provide them with several muffin tins. The kids spent hours sorting the buttons by color and looking for their favorites. They also used them for Barbie dishes.
I finished the laundry bag I started yesterday so can use today to get the buttonholes in the shirt. I also have a few collars to turn on my husband’s shirts, which seems like a fussy thing to do, but adds years to the life of a shirt that is otherwise ruined.