First, a sad tale of bees, panic, and pain. Some months ago, I disturbed a nest of ground bees in the backyard, and we won’t dwell too much on the stupidity that caused this (mine) but only on the aftermath. A bee stung me on the thumb, and in my panic to escape, I tripped and fell, injuring the same hand that had the sting. Fast forward a few months, and the docs finally decided to X-ray the hand and do other medical things to it (I will spare you the details), but here I am with orders to rest the hand for awhile and wear this brace. All well and good, but the darned thing is hot and sweaty to wear. I needed some kind of brace undergarment.
At the same time, I have been reading about people who are knitting covers for their Brand Name Floor Dusters. I can’t see myself spending the time to knit something to pick up dirt and dust, but the idea for a washable, reusable Duster Cover is a very good one. I decided to sew some covers using Walmart socks. You can buy 6 pairs of socks at Walmart for under $4, which would make 12 reusable covers.
To begin, I cut off the ribbing and made this part of the sock into the brace undergarment. I hemmed the cut edge with a zigzag stitch, then cut a slit in the side and stitched around that. If the opening comes out too long, you can just sew it up a little with the zigzag stitch.
These are very comfortable.
Next, using the rest of the sock, I folded it with the heel on the bottom, and sewed the cut end closed so that the loopy side would be the right side (picks up more dust). I cut a slit in the top, zigzagged around it, and presto, a duster cover.
The picture above shows one of the covers on my old sponge mop, which works well too. From one pair of socks at a cost of less than 35 cents per item, I got two hand socks for under the brace, and two duster covers. The covers work great, by the way, and can go into the wash with bleach, another plus, unlike yarn.
Now I am off to mop the bathroom floors.